gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Misc questions

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Misc questions
Date: 26 Oct 2006 19:24:31 -0400

1.  Can anyone comment on the strengths/weaknesses of lsp/serror.lsp?

2.  Are we allowed in the spec fo intern a special symbol in a special
    package to hold '(setf ...) functions in the conventional manner?
    I.e. (defun (setf foo) nil (bar)) -> (si::putprop 'foo (defun
    setf::setf-foo nil (bar)) si::'setf-function)?

3.  What is the best way to centralize on one definition of
    si::break-level, for example, and merely wrap it in the condition
    handling stuff when the conditions package is loaded? (i.e. as
    opposed to having two separate definitions to keep in sync.  The
    new definition uses macros which only make sense in the conditions
    pacakge.  The best I can think of is something like:

gcl_top.lisp:

(in-package 'si)
(defmacro proto-with-simple-restart (&rest r) `(progn ,@r))
(defconstant +break-level-source+ (lambda (...) (proto-with-simple-restart
...)))
(defun break-level (...)
        (funcall +break-level-source+ ....))

gcl_clcs_top_patches.lisp:

(in-package 'si)
(defun break-level (...)
        (macrolet ((proto-with-simple-restart (&rest r)
                  `(with-simple-restart ,@r)))
        (funcall +break-level-source+ ....)))

We cannot use (si::function-src 'break-level) as this is already
macroexpanded.  And we need a version which will work in the cltl1
image too.

Take care,