gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: sock_get_string_buf

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: sock_get_string_buf
Date: 02 Nov 2006 11:49:13 -0500

Greetings!

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

> > > msgfmt is part of gettext. You need the following options to
> > > encourage gcl to use it's own built-in version of gettext:
> > >
> > > ./configure --enable-locbfd --disable-statsysbfd
> > >
> > > These should be the default of MAC OSX
> >
> > Actually that fails also with the same output.
> >

> ???
>
> Are you double sure of this? Your result doesn't make sense
> because gcl internally builds it's own version of gettext
> as part of the bfd build and finds msgfmt there *internally*.
> This works for me on the MAC OSX that I have been using.

Without any path setting?  In any case, I jsut checked, and it just
skips the msgfmt calls now, the libintl et.al. stuff is the same.
Remove --disable-nls from configure.in and autoconf if you want to
revert.

> > The apt-get worked for debian-style systems like debian and
> > ubuntu.
> >
> > Yum does not know about binutils-dev which is a debian package
> > so Fedora 6 still won't build. I searched for the binutils-dev
> > equivalent but have not yet found it.
>
> You should not have to install binutils-dev *if* you ask gcl
> to use it's own built-in version.

Indeed this is the preferred route if one has any hint of bfd version
skew, quite common.

Take care,