gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Axiom and GCL 2.7.0 (CVS HEAD)

From: Vanuxem Gregory
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Axiom and GCL 2.7.0 (CVS HEAD)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 23:38:28 +0100

Hello,

I'm trying to compile Axiom (build-improvements branch) and am
encountering a strange issue. So maybe you'll want to look at this. I
insist, I do not ask that you look at it, the last time you worked on a
problem, it was found by Vadim V. Zhytnikov and was in Axiom and not in
GCL (float vs double in defentries). I can not help or even find what is
the problem, if there is a problem, it's beyond my limited knowledge.

After compiling about 20 files, GCL seems to "loop" infinitely, it
compiles one file (ptyout.clisp) since now 3 hours on a AMD64 3000+
(1800Mhz) and displays what seems to me strange messages, for example :

;; Compiling stage0/ptyout.clisp.
; (DEFUN |bMap1| ...) is being compiled.
;; Warning: ;; The variable |bStreamNil| is undefined.
;; The compiler will assume this variable is a global.

;; Warning: Caller BOOTCLAM appears after callee BOOTCLAMLINES,
   whose sig changed from (MACRO
                           . #<compiled-function XLIB::PICMENU-SPEC>) to
((T  T) T), restart pass1

And Axiom does not use XLIB.

_If_ you want to look at this, this branch of Axiom can be obtained with

svn co \
https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/axiom/branches/build-improvements \
axiom.build-improvements

To try to build it, you just have to ./configure GCL=/path/to/gcl-2.7.0
and make it.

If I try to compile this file with a fresh GCL image, there is no problem but
if I use the GCL image produced during the build...

Last thing I know that you're working on error handling in GCL but
in case you do not know, error messages are buggy :

> (foo::bar 3)

Error: PROGRAM-ERROR :FORMAT-CONTROL "^S [or a callee] requires more than ^R
argument^:p." :FORMAT-ARGUMENTS (FOO::%BAR 1)
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Signalled by FOO::%BAR.
PROGRAM-ERROR :FORMAT-CONTROL "^S [or a callee] requires more than ^R
argument^:p." :FORMAT-ARGUMENTS (FOO::%BAR 1)

Greg

PS : GCL checked out today (CLtL1 build)