gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] (no subject)

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] (no subject)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 17:32:24 -0500

Greetings!

Hello,

I'm trying to compile Axiom (build-improvements branch) and am
encountering a strange issue. So maybe you'll want to look at this. I
insist, I do not ask that you look at it, the last time you worked on a
problem, it was found by Vadim V. Zhytnikov and was in Axiom and not in
GCL (float vs double in defentries). I can not help or even find what is
the problem, if there is a problem, it's beyond my limited knowledge.

After compiling about 20 files, GCL seems to "loop" infinitely, it
compiles one file (ptyout.clisp) since now 3 hours on a AMD64 3000+
(1800Mhz) and displays what seems to me strange messages, for example :

;; Compiling stage0/ptyout.clisp.
; (DEFUN |bMap1| ...) is being compiled.
;; Warning: ;; The variable |bStreamNil| is undefined.
;; The compiler will assume this variable is a global.

;; Warning: Caller BOOTCLAM appears after callee BOOTCLAMLINES,
   whose sig changed from (MACRO
                           . #<compiled-function XLIB::PICMENU-SPEC>) to
((T  T) T), restart pass1

And Axiom does not use XLIB.

There is a problem here, but cvs head is in too much of a state of
flux IMHO to put substantial work into the major applications at this
point.  That said, any effort you or others might care to put in
including bug reports are most welcome.

You can, for example, disable the new automatic recompilation feature
with (setq si::*disable-recompile* t).  The full build output would
also be useful.  But it appears clear that the signature (or its
report) has been corrupted above.

_If_ you want to look at this, this branch of Axiom can be obtained with

svn co \
https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/axiom/branches/build-improvements \
axiom.build-improvements

To try to build it, you just have to ./configure GCL=/path/to/gcl-2.7.0
and make it.

If I try to compile this file with a fresh GCL image, there is no problem but
if I use the GCL image produced during the build...

Last thing I know that you're working on error handling in GCL but
in case you do not know, error messages are buggy :

> (foo::bar 3)

Error: PROGRAM-ERROR :FORMAT-CONTROL "^S [or a callee] requires more than ^R
argument^:p." :FORMAT-ARGUMENTS (FOO::%BAR 1)
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Signalled by FOO::%BAR.
PROGRAM-ERROR :FORMAT-CONTROL "^S [or a callee] requires more than ^R
argument^:p." :FORMAT-ARGUMENTS (FOO::%BAR 1)

Thanks!  Am committing a fix for this now.

Take care,

Greg

PS : GCL checked out today (CLtL1 build)