gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] How to build gcl?

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] How to build gcl?
Date: 03 Jan 2008 18:38:00 -0500

Greetings!

Tim Josling <address@hidden> writes:

> Greetings
>
> Why I want to build:
>
> For profiling!

Good to here you making use of this -- I do all the time.

(If you are interested, there are some key developments in this area
I'd like to pursue and discuss at some point.)

> I downloaded the gclcvs package from the debian site but it would not
> install because of library dependencies:
>
> > gclcvs:
> >   Depends: binutils-dev (>=2.18.1~cvs20071027-2) but
> > 2.17.20070103cvs-0ubuntu2 is to be installed
> >   Depends: libc6 (>=2.7-1) but 2.5-0ubuntu14 is to be installed
> >   Depends: libncurses5 (>=5.6+20071006-3) but 5.5-5ubuntu2 is to be
> > installed
>
> I tried installing the gclcvs from Ubuntu which worked, but the
> profiling is turned off... which was what I wanted the cvs version for
> in the first place.

I hope the ubuntu package follows Debian.  If so, GCL_PROF=t gclcvs
should run a profiling image.  GCL_ANSI is the other controlling
environment variable -- the package has four images in all.  If this
is not the case, we should followup with whoever disabled it.

On Debian, the package will setup defaults for these variables to your
specification as well.

> > /home2/gcl-cvs/gcl $>gclcvs
> > GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.7.0 CLtL1    Dec  7 2006 08:09:37
> > Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp,pargcl), GPL(unexec,bfd,xgcl)
> > Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (XGCL READLINE BFD
> > UNEXEC)
> > Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible
> > license
> > Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter
> >
> > Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
> >
> > Temporary directory for compiler files set to /tmp/
> >
> > >(si::gprof)
> >
> > Error: UNDEFINED-FUNCTION :NAME SYSTEM::GPROF NIL
> > Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
> > Signalled by EVAL.
> > UNDEFINED-FUNCTION :NAME SYSTEM::GPROF NIL
> >
> > Broken at EVAL.  Type :H for Help.
> > >>

> OK let's download the cvs and build it myself...
>
> > ./configure --enable-gprof --enable-readline
> > ...lots
>
> > time nice make
>
> > cd unixport && echo '(time (let ((*features* (cons :pre-gcl
> > *features*)))(load "boot.lisp")))' | ./saved_pre_gcl
> > GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.7.0 CLtL1  profiling  Jan  3 2008 08:03:30
> > Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp,pargcl), GPL(unexec,bfd,xgcl)
> > Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (READLINE BFD UNEXEC)
> > Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible
> > license
> > Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter
> >
> > Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
> >
> > Temporary directory for compiler files set to /tmp/

> > ;; Compiling ../lsp/gcl_c.lsp.
> > ;; End of Pass 1.
> > ;; End of Pass 2.
> > ;; OPTIMIZE levels: Safety=3, Space=0, Speed=3, (Debug quality
> > ignored)
> > ;; Finished compiling ../lsp/gcl_c.o.
> > ;; start address -T 0xd89fe0 ;; Finished
> > real time       :      6.550 secs
> > run-gbc time    :      5.460 secs
> > child run time  :      0.260 secs
> > gbc time        :      0.800 secs
> > ;; Compiling ../lsp/gcl_listlib.lsp.
> > ;; End of Pass 1.
> > ;; End of Pass 2.
> > ;; OPTIMIZE levels: Safety=3, Space=0, Speed=3, (Debug quality
> > ignored)
> > ;; Finished compiling ../lsp/gcl_listlib.o.
> > __stack_chk_fail is undefined

This symbol (__stack_chk_fail) was added by your compiler -- I've
never seen it before.  You might find the following helpful:

http://hackinglinux.blogspot.com/2006/11/resolving-stackchkfail-error.html

Please keep me posted.

> > Error: ERROR "Cannot get relocated section contents
> > "
> > Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
> > Signalled by LOAD1.
> > ERROR "Cannot get relocated section contents
> > "
> >
> > Broken at LOAD1.  Type :H for Help.
> >
> > real    2m16.407s
> > user    2m14.056s
> > sys     0m4.056s
>
> This is all on
> > uname -a: Linux tim-gcc 2.6.20-15-generic #2 SMP Sun Apr 15 06:17:24
> UTC 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/?root=gcl
>

> > more /etc/lsb-release
> > DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
> > DISTRIB_RELEASE=7.04
> > DISTRIB_CODENAME=feisty
> > DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 7.04"
> >

> Any suggestions?
>
> By the way I got the cvs with the command
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/gcl co gcl
>
> Previously I used "." instead of "gcl" as the modulename in the cvs co
> command. That's why I got the clgtk/ directory also which appears to be
> superfluous. See http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/?root=gcl

All of this appears to be right.  There would appear to be some local
compiler/kernel issue in your setup.

Tim, I'd appreciate your feedback on the auto-recompilation and source
inlining features of cvs head when you get a chance.  You might also
notice significantly enhanced tail call recursion and mutual recursion
elimination facilities.

Take care,