gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Building gcl from cvs?

From: Raymond Toy
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Building gcl from cvs?
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 08:11:17 -0500

Camm Maguire wrote:
Greetings!

Raymond Toy <address@hidden> writes:

Camm Maguire wrote:
GCL has certain build dependencies, a working C compiler and libc
development header environment being among them.  Conventionally, GCL
also requires binutils-dev and libgmp3-dev at build time, but there
are local snapshots of these libraries to make do in a pinch.  The GMP
local build will turn on automatically if no installed GMP is found.
The binutils local build must still be invoked by hand thus:
--disable-statsysbfd --enable-locbfd
Ah, this really helps a lot on solaris/sparc for
gcl2.6.8pre. Configure finishes, and it builds just about everything.
The only issue is that I don't have a working pdflatex, so the build
never finishes making saved_gcl.  If I comment out the parts about
building dwdoc.pdf, everything finishes and saved_ansi_gcl is created.

Unfortunately, cvs gcl still doesn't configure correctly.  First,
configure near line 4942 has this:

      if ! test -x `which ldd` ; then

I think it really should be:

      if test ! -x `which ldd` ; then

Odd, I thought the former was the standard shell syntax.  I'll see if
bash groks the latter.

Umm, configure starts with #!/bin/sh. :-)

One other issue. Solaris's tail doesn't grok -n. Instead of tail -n 1, tail -1 works.

Configure still fails because it can't determine the C stack.  Can I
set heap_ceiling = 0 for solaris/sparc is it is for solaris-i386?  If
I do that, configure finishes.  I'm doing the build right now.  It
will take quite a while before I know the outcome....

This should be fine given that sparc puts shared libs way up around
0xf0000000 AFAIR.  The configure logic at present really is a quite

The C stack starts at 0xffbf0000 (Ultrasparcs, Solaris 7+). The shared libs start below the stack, but will go wherever there is space for them. .text starts at 0x01000000, I think.

I'd be interested in seing the failed configure log, presuming that
ldd was corectly found.  Trouble here is, I bet the output thereof,
which configure attempts to parse, is anything but standard.  Perhaps

Oh, right. I did see that it found ldd correctly. I also noticed that on Linux ldd puts information out about where the shared lib goes. Solaris's ldd doesn't produce any addresses. However pmap <pid> will give you that information. A quick look at various processes indicates that the location of libc is in a different place.

If you really want config.log, I can provide that to you.

also ldd configure would help.

ldd configure?  What do you mean?

Ray