gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Build trouble

From: Jerry James
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Build trouble
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:45:01 -0700

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 8:47 AM, Nicolas FRANCOIS <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi.

I've got a hard time compiling GCL-2.6.7 (Linux (Linux From Scratch),
DualCore, Gcc 4.2.3, Glibc 2.7). The build is stuck on a segfault, caused
by a buggy malloc, Gentoo bugtracking list dixit :

Building symbol table for /sources/gcl-2.6.7/unixport/raw_pre_gcl ..

Unrecoverable error: Segmentation violation..
/bin/sh: line 1: 13485
Abandon                 /sources/gcl-2.6.7/unixport/raw_pre_gcl /sources/gcl-2.6.7/unixport/
-libdir /sources/gcl-2.6.7/ < foo make[1]: *** [saved_pre_gcl] Erreur 134
rm raw_pre_gcl make[1]: quittant le répertoire
« /sources/gcl-2.6.7/unixport » make: *** [unixport/saved_pre_gcl] Erreur
2

I don't quite understand all the workarounds provided by the Gentoo list,
as they are quite contradictory. Can someone help me compile this
package ? I need it badly for Maxima.

Hi Nicolas,

I'm in the middle of reviving the Fedora build of GCL, and I had a problem with segfaults in raw_pre_gcl as well.  They weren't caused by a buggy malloc, but rather by GCL's use of libbfd being behind the times.  A temporary workaround that works for me is to configure GCL to use its built-in bfd library, rather than the system bfd library.  I'm planning to look at the problem in more depth this week to see if GCL can be made to use a current libbfd.  (If someone has already solved this problem, please let me know.)

If configuring with GCL's bfd library doesn't fix your problem, can you provide a backtrace from the segfault?
--
Jerry James
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/