gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] Runtime determination of share directories?

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] Runtime determination of share directories?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 22:42:38 -0500

Greetings!

Robert Dodier <address@hidden> writes:

> On 1/22/09, Raymond Toy <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>  Wouldn't it be nicer if we could do this at startup and just find all of
>>  the directories in share directory?  Then we wouldn't have to maintain
>>  this list at all, and users can easily add share packages themselves and
>>  have them automatically available.  (Well, perhaps we could keep a few
>>  of the core share packages in the list, but most would be determined at
>>  runtime).
>
> Yes, that's a good idea. Have at it!
>
>>  I played with this a while back, but never finished it.  I think,
>>  however, that all of the lisps we support can do this using the Lisp
>>  DIRECTORY function with a bit of extra glue to return the right stuff.
>>  GCL might be a bit more difficult, but I think it can be done there too.
>
> I believe it is within the realm of possibility that we might stop
> working around GCL's idiosyncrasies.

It would be helpful if you could describe what 'idiosyncrasies' you
find onerous, and perhaps suggest what type of behavior would be
optimal.  This is the first I've heard of this, and only by
happenstance when catching up on the maxima mailing list.  (I have
received a suggestion to implement a more native directory function,
but was not aware that this was causing any real difficulties in
current applications.  After reading the above, I still don't
understand the issue.)

GCL is very much alive, but proceeds in bursts as many open source
projects.  Needless to say, if the GCL community can do something
differently to be more useful for maxima, we'd certainly be open to
suggestions.

Take care,