gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] virtual memory

From: Andrey G. Grozin
Subject: [Gcl-devel] virtual memory
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 09:46:04 +0700 (NOVST)

Hello *,

An older version of gcl-2.6.8-pre in Gentoo (it was taken from Debian, don't remember the exact number of the Debian patch) was the fastest in running the maxima tests. Recently, I've compiled gcl-2.6.8-pre from cvs, and now I cannot complete these tests at all: maxima is swapping like mad, and makes very little progress. It seems that it uses much more virtual memory than the main memory of my computer (which is not large, just 1/4 Gb).

Is there any gcl build parameter which I can tune to reduce the amount of virtual memory used by gcl? What has changed in this respect in a not too distant past? (this may mean a year ago or something, I don't know more exactly).

Andrey