gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Information about the gcl development status

From: Stefano Ferri
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Information about the gcl development status
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:13:05 +0200

Dear list,

I'v just subscribed to the gcl-devel mailing list. I'm a Maxima user,
and I've noticed that Maxima built with gcl is more or less 3 times
faster than if compiled with CLISP (that produces executables compiled
to bytecodes). But the version I've tryed is that one for Windows, and
I need to make it work on Linux.

Well, here is my problem: I've downloaded version 2.6.7 of Gcl, but it
gives a lot of compilation errors. This release is very old, so I've
noticed that Maxima, on Windows, is compiled with gcl 2.6.8. Is this
an unofficial/nightly release? Where can I found it?

I would also like to know something about the status Gcl development:
I never considered this Lisp before, but it could be really useful to
me, since it produces fast executables for Lisp-based programs. Since
the last release is about 5 years old, I was wondering if new official
releases are planned :-)

Thank you
Stefano Ferri