gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Make still fails on WinXP for ANSI

From: Donald Winiecki
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Make still fails on WinXP for ANSI
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 08:55:23 -0600

Hi Camm and everyone,

Apologies for the appearance of non-activity on my part.  My WinXP machine has been struggling for awhile and has given up the ghost -- so to say.  I knew this was going to happen eventually but didn't expect it presently.  (It's struggles may have been behind my inability to build a GCL-ansi variant on WinXP.)

Since the only reason to try and get an WinXP machine up and running would be to help out with WinXP tests of GCL -- and I don't know who might be using WinXP still -- I'm not sure it's worth an entire machine to do this.

If you all think it is important to have an winXP-proven build I can pursue putting a virtual machine on my Vista box and install XP into it -- but event this wouldn't be a `real' WinXP installation.

What do you all think?  Do we try to make sure it works on WinXP or do we stop at 2.6.7 for XP?

_don

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:
Greetings!

Donald Winiecki <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm,
>
> I verified the source of CVS files to gcl268pre but make still fails when building the ANSI variant.  Here is
> a link to the make log.
>
> https://sites.google.com/a/boisestate.edu/gcl-win32/home/build-logs/xp-ansi-m.log?attredirects=0&d=1

OK, this report is more what I expected.  To proceed further, I need
to guide you through some remote debugging steps.

make clean
./configure --enable-debug --enable-ansi
make
cd pcl

echo '(load "sys-package.lisp")' '(setq *features* (delete (quote :kcl) *features*))' '(load "defsys.lisp")(push (quote :kcl) *features*)' '(setq pcl::*default-pathname-extensions* (cons "lisp" "o"))' '(setq pcl::*pathname-extensions* (cons "lisp" "o"))' '(load "sys-proclaim.lisp")' '(setq compiler::*default-h-file* t)' '(setq compiler::*default-c-file* t)' '(setq compiler::*default-data-file* t)' '(setq compiler::*default-system-p* t)' '(setq compiler::*keep-gaz* t compiler::*tmp-dir* "")' '(pcl::compile-pcl)' >foo

gdb ../unixport/saved_gcl.exe
(gdb) b call_init
(gdb) r
> (load "foo")

Then at the first break, please do

(gdb) display/x memory->cfd.cfd_start

and keep a list of which .o file is loaded at which start address.

Then

(gdb) c

to continue, and keep pressing 'c' until the error occurs.  gdb will
break and give you a fault address, please note this.  Then

(gdb) bt

to get a backtrace.

Please then leave this window open, send me the list of addresses, the
fault address, and the backtrace, and I can guide you further from
there.

Thanks again so much!