gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Make still fails on WinXP for ANSI

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Make still fails on WinXP for ANSI
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:41:12 -0400

Greetings!

Donald Winiecki <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Camm and everyone,
>
> Apologies for the appearance of non-activity on my part.  My WinXP machine
> has been struggling for awhile and
> has given up the ghost -- so to say.  I knew this was going to happen
> eventually but didn't expect it
> presently.  (It's struggles may have been behind my inability to build a
> GCL-ansi variant on WinXP.)

If there was a serious possibility of some systemic, e.g. memory
failure on this machine, I suggest we take this as a working
hypothesis given that vista goes through OK.  (arguing against this
however that your failures appear to have been in the same place on
multiple occasions.)

I think it is therefore far more productive to try to verify the app
builds on vista.  In particular, it would be really great if you could
work with Gaby on the open axiom bit, as the traditional axiom still
has a lot of non-lisp bsd dependent C code in it which makes it
impossible for me to verify under wine.  I have been able to verify
the maxima, acl2, and hol88 builds under wine.

The only real question with the win32 port is whether we go with the
new relocation file sfaslcoff.c or default to the older generic file
with all its foibles.  If we had a reproducible error, the next step
would be to swap out the loader code.

> Since the only reason to try and get an WinXP machine up and running would be
> to help out with WinXP tests of
> GCL -- and I don't know who might be using WinXP still -- I'm not sure it's
> worth an entire machine to do
> this.
>
> If you all think it is important to have an winXP-proven build I can pursue
> putting a virtual machine on my
> Vista box and install XP into it -- but event this wouldn't be a `real' WinXP
> installation.
>
> What do you all think?  Do we try to make sure it works on WinXP or do we
> stop at 2.6.7 for XP?

In the mean time, I will ask my colleagues at ut if they have a win
box that might be used.

Take care,