gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Compiling GCL with Wine

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Compiling GCL with Wine
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 16:07:44 -0400

Greetings!

Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm Maguire <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> | > Camm, what are the instructions to build and test GCL under wine?
> | >

> | This is the README.wine file:
>
> Hi Camm,
>
> Thanks for the instructions.  My box is a x86_64 running openSUSE-11.2.
> I don't think that matters substantially. However, a few notes for
> anyone out there who would like to try the cross compile:
>
> | On Debian, for example, gcl can be run and tested under wine as follows:
> |
> | (as root)
> |
> | aptitude install mingw32 mingw32-runtime mingw32-binutils wine
> |
> | If necessary, as root
> |
> | update-binfmts --enable wine
>
> openSUSE does not have `update-binfmts', but:
>   (1) one can install wine through YAST
>   (2) enable wine as
>
>    # echo ':DOSWin:M::MZ::/usr/bin/wine:' >> /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register
>
> On x86_64, the cross compiler tools for MinGW available through YAST
> would have some trouble installing (because it does not have a 64-bit
> cross build.)  The simplest is to just build your own cross tool chain.
> Here is what I did:
>
>    (a) Build binutils:
>       (i) download binutils (2.20.1)
>       (ii) build with prefix /opt/cross and target i686-pc-mingw32
>       (iii) install
>
>    (b) Build minimal GCC
>       (i) download GCC -- I just took the development version
>       (ii) configure with prefix /opt/cross, target i686-pc-mingw32 and
>            other switches such as
>              --enable-languages='c,c++' \
>              --disable-nls --disable-multilib \
>              --disable-bootstrap
>       (iii) make all-gcc && sudo make install-gcc
>
>    (c) Install MinGW headers and libraries
>       (i) donwload MinGW-RT and W32API from MinGW sourcefore website
>       (ii) unpack them in /opt/cross/i686-pc-mingw32
>
>    (d) Rebuild and install full GCC with (C and C++ compilers)
>
> | Then as a normal user,
> |
> | export PATH=/usr/i586-mingw32msvc/bin:$PATH
> | export CC=/usr/bin/i586-mingw32msvc-gcc
> |
> | ./configure --host=mingw32 && make
> |

> PATH=/optc/cross/i686-pc-mingw32/bin:$PATH
> CC='i686-pc-mingw32-gcc' ./configure --host=i686-pc-mingw32
> --prefix=/opt/cross/i686-pc-mingw32
> make
>
> With that, the system built raw_pre_gcl.exe.  But, the the boostrap
> failed with the following:
>
>    cp init_pre_gcl.lsp foo
>    echo " (in-package \"USER\")(system:save-system \"saved_pre_gcl\")" >>foo
>    ar x libpre_gcl.a $(ar t libpre_gcl.a |grep ^gcl_)
>    /home/gdr/src/gcl-2.6.8pre/unixport/raw_pre_gcl.exe
> /home/gdr/src/gcl-2.6.8pre/unixport/ -libdir /home/gdr/src/gcl-2.6.8pre/ < foo
>
>    Unrecoverable error: Can't allocate.  Good-bye!.

Thanks for this report!  This indicates an sbrk failure, emulated here
in unexnt.c.  If you can, try rebuilding with --enable-debug, you
should then be able to then run winedbg, which has elementary gdb
command capability.  Break at sbrk, and step through, please, to see
where the failure occurs.  There is a call to the wine-emulated
VirtualAlloc which I'm guessing is returning NULL.  After the failure,
you can 'p DisplayError("foo")' to see the error output.

Non-wine related issues could be running with a limited .data segment
size constraint (e.g. ulimit -a), or a general configure error leading
to a bad heap size calculation.

I think wine also has a trace facility which should let you watch
VirtualAlloc.  (Maybe set by environment variable as I recall?)

I have been told by the wine developers that the standard wine build
on a 64bit machine is an attempt at win64 emulation and is currently
highly experimental.  I doubt this is what you are seeing, but it
might be wise to double check that everything is 32 bit here.

On that note, just a reminder if you could to post that failed win64
configure.  That would be most helpful.

Take care,