gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: ia64

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: ia64
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 18:05:08 -0400

"Richard E. Harke" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Friday 27 August 2010 02:38:23 pm you wrote:
>> Greetings!  We had discussed some time ago native object relocation in
>> gcl on ia64, in the context of axiom support.  I've recently
>> implemented an overhaul of this feature, supporting custom (non-bfd)
>> relocation for all elf targets but ia64 and hppa.  To support ia64, I
>> need to write a small switch statement on the elf relocation type, and
>> example of which I can provide you if interested.
>>
>> Would you be available for questions in this area?
>>
>> Take care,
>
> I'm willing to do what I can to help. I haven't been working on ia64
> much recently so it may take some effort for me to get back up to speed.
> I still have an ia64 machine I could use for testing though the
> software hasn't been updated in a while.

Thank you so much!  Your efforts will save a lot of time and are thus
greatly appreciated!

Here in a nutshell is how to get started:

1) cvs -z9 -q -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/gcl co  -d \
gcl-2.6.8pre -r Version_2_6_8pre gcl

2) cd gcl-2.6.8pre

3) write small elf64_ia64_reloc.h (and possibly
elf64_ia64_reloc_special.h) files following the many examples in the
h/ subdir for the other architectures

4) append to ia64-linux.h:
#define RELOC_H "elf64_ia64_reloc.h"

and optionally

#define SPECIAL_RELOC_H "elf64_ia64_reloc_special.h"

5) ./configure --enable-debug --disable-dlopen --enable-custreloc && make

6) cd unixport

7) cat >f.l
(defun foo (x) x)

8) ./saved_gcl (or ./saved_pre_gcl

9) (compile-file "f.l")

10) (load "f")

11) (foo 1)

then chase down bugs.  Once I get this file working, then I do

12) (defun bar (x) (flet ((g (x) x)) (g x)))

13) (compile 'bar)

14) (bar 2)

then

15) (compile-file "../cmpnew/gcl_cmpeval.lsp")

16) (load *)

17) (compile nil '(lambda nil nil))

finally

18) cd ../pcl && make

If this goes mostly through (there will be some small errors as ansi
was not configured in above), you are most likely done!

As you can tell, most machines just need the simple reloc file with
switch entries for the various reloc types.  o/sfaslelf.c includes
these entries for the low level work.  's' holds the symbol value, 'a'
the addend, 'r' the reloc entry, and 'where' the instruction address.

Some machines requiring an appended .got table take an additional
special reloc file.  The goal here is to allocate a got table entry to
each needed reloc and encode it in the relocation or symbol
structures.  On mips and alpha alone, tiny trampolines have t be
written in this space as genuine .plt entries are not (yet) provided.
I don't anticipate this problem on ia64.  All relocated addresses
should lie within the base gcl executable, and not in an external
shared library.  This is because the image can be moved, and said
address might be different on a different machine.  Make sure to
relocate 'sin' to the .plt entry of 'sin', etc.

This sounds more daunting than it is.  Please let me know if anything
is unclear -- I'd be most happy to help.  And thank you again so much
for offering assistance!

Take care,