gcl-devel

Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.8 licensing

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.8 licensing
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:31:20 -0400

Greetings!

Tim Daly <address@hidden> writes:

>  I have previously discussed the question of using GCL with Axiom.
> GCL, originally ACKL, was written under IBM contract for Axiom.
>
> Both the FSF and Stallman in direct email said there was no problem
> using GCL with the mBSD code in Axiom. Note that Axiom distributes
> and builds directly from the unmodified sources in the repository.
> We add any patches, which we also distribute, at build time.
>
> Since the whole philosophical point of the GPL license is to
> guarantee the 4 freedoms, they are still guaranteed by this procedure.

You are of course correct and nothing in this proposal changes this.
The essence lies in the documentation license, which some have
interpreted as 'non-free' as they allow (but do not require) the
authors to specify some sections as 'unmodifiable'.  If GCL adopts the
new doc license, no such sections will (ever) be so designated.  This
satisfies the Debian Free Software Guidelines as well.

It seems all parties can be happy with this.  I was just asking if I
had overlooked something.

Take care,