gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] mingw32 paths

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] mingw32 paths
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:41:58 -0500

Camm Maguire <address@hidden> writes:

| Greetings!  I've successfully tested maxima and acl2 under both wine
| and a native windows machine.

That sounds promising -- I'll get to your other message soon.

| I have a question regarding paths.  From what I can tell, gcl needs
| *to be run* under a mingw32 shell if it wants to compile anything.
| Said shell reports paths as /c/dir/foo.c, but GCL's current truename
| and probe-file expect c:/dir/foo.c.  What is 'supposed to happen'
| here?

Please keep GCL's truename as it is.  The msys's UNIX-style /c/dir/foo.c
is just convenience for UNIX-centric tools (especially build tools).
However, since we want GCL to be built natively, it should have Windows
version c:/dir/foo.c, otherwise trouble.

BTW, you can also use "pwd -W" (only in msys) to report the windows
style pathname for directories.

Also, please, keep the path separator as '/' -- that requires less escaping.

-- Gaby