gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [open-axiom-devel] binutils subtree removed

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [open-axiom-devel] binutils subtree removed
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 08:41:24 -0400

Greetings, and thanks so much for your helpful feedback!

"Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 4 Nov 2010, Camm Maguire wrote:
>> But this leaves the question of the gmp4 directory.  Tim once told me
>> he would have to include it if I removed it, for the convenience
>> reasons you mention above.  I'm not really sure what I think here.  A
>> lisp system must implement mp, so it is not illogical for its source
>> to include this code somewhere.  The older, no longer supported mp
>> files are still present.  But it is a separate project, and a hassle
>> to keep current.
> Why keep it in the tree? Any Linux distro has gmp. For any distro,

Two words -- windows, mac.  One could add solaris, but it appears
gone.  There are no standard functional package managers for these
targets.  "Ordinary" users are (apparently) called upon to build stuff
themselves.  Then there is the question of inadvertent version
incompatibilities, which IMHO should be very rare, but nevertheless
motivate caching a known working copy in one source bundle.

I'm not defending the above, merely repeating what I've been told.
Personally, I don't see any reason why all OSes aren't replaced with
Linux :-).

> it's an absolute taboo for any package to build its private copy of
> any system library (think security updates to libraries, for
> example). Many distros have already switched to gmp5. In Gentoo, for

GCL currently only builds the local gmp if
1) no external gmp is found, or
2) --disable-dynsysgmp is passed to configure.

so essentially never on any Linux.  GCL also now supports gmp5.

> example, it's completely out of question for any package to build and
> install gmp4. It's forbidden. Due to this "convenience", axiom is
> being removed from Gentoo (in favour of fricas and oa).

There are a few minor patches in the Debian axiom package which make
it completely modular.  (I'm trying to get these merged upstream.)

> In any case, I don't see much convenience here. For packagers of all
> distros, it's a big inconvenience. Those who compile stuff themselves

I see one inconvenience for distros -- the extra source storage
space.  But that is it, no?

> know what they are doing. They can easily install a gmp package from
> their distro, or easily compile it.

Barring the possibility that the version of the external lib is no
longer available, yes.

Take care,