gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: 2.6.8 licensing

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: 2.6.8 licensing
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 09:52:52 -0400

Greetings, and thanks so much for this!

I've been asked to query -- are there any GPLv2 only projects using
GCL?  If so, please now so state.

It should be noted here that in some respects the GPLv3 is actually
more permissive than the v2, according to some irc discussion on
debian-devel.  Details upon request.

This received from the FSF, which seems reasonable:

"GPLv2-or-later projects using (L)GPLv3 isn't a problem.  There are
few GPLv2-only projects -- do you know specifically of any such using
GCL?  Maybe ask on your mailing list(s)?  Of course I realize there's
no way to know for sure, but rms's general theory is that some small
probability event shouldn't stop GNU from upgrading ..."

Donald Winiecki <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm and all,
>
> It is possible that your correspondent is referring to section 6 of
> GPL3 (http://www.opensource.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html), text of which
> is included below (see 6.a.) (it appears that all except section 3 of
> GCL3 is telegraphed through LGPL3 -- see section 1 of LGPL3
> [http://www.opensource.org/licenses/lgpl-3.0.html]).  However, this
> seems to apply only in the case of compiled versions of GCL, such as
> the Win32 programs (ANSI and CLTL1) downloadable from the GCL website.
>
> I don't find any other things in either LGPL3 or GCL3 that would make
> this an issue for GCL -- but I'll hasten to add that I didn't go
> through both licenses with a fine toothed comb.

I think the general issue is if some BSD project wants to build atop
GCL and distribute a binary only.  What obligation should they have to
provide the used GCL source?

> 6. Conveying Non-Source Forms.
>
> You may convey a covered work in object code form under the terms of
> sections 4 and 5, provided that you also convey the machine-readable
> Corresponding Source under the terms of this License, in one of these
> ways:
>
>     * a) Convey the object code in, or embodied in, a physical product
> (including a physical distribution medium), accompanied by the
> Corresponding Source fixed on a durable physical medium customarily
> used for software interchange.
>     * b) Convey the object code in, or embodied in, a physical product
> (including a physical distribution medium), accompanied by a written
> offer, valid for at least three years and valid for as long as you
> offer spare parts or customer support for that product model, to give
> anyone who possesses the object code either (1) a copy of the
> Corresponding Source for all the software in the product that is
> covered by this License, on a durable physical medium customarily used
> for software interchange, for a price no more than your reasonable
> cost of physically performing this conveying of source, or (2) access
> to copy the Corresponding Source from a network server at no charge.
>     * c) Convey individual copies of the object code with a copy of
> the written offer to provide the Corresponding Source. This
> alternative is allowed only occasionally and noncommercially, and only
> if you received the object code with such an offer, in accord with
> subsection 6b.
>     * d) Convey the object code by offering access from a designated
> place (gratis or for a charge), and offer equivalent access to the
> Corresponding Source in the same way through the same place at no
> further charge. You need not require recipients to copy the
> Corresponding Source along with the object code. If the place to copy
> the object code is a network server, the Corresponding Source may be
> on a different server (operated by you or a third party) that supports
> equivalent copying facilities, provided you maintain clear directions
> next to the object code saying where to find the Corresponding Source.
> Regardless of what server hosts the Corresponding Source, you remain
> obligated to ensure that it is available for as long as needed to
> satisfy these requirements.

This seems like explicit permission for electronic transmission on a
website.

>     * e) Convey the object code using peer-to-peer transmission,
> provided you inform other peers where the object code and
> Corresponding Source of the work are being offered to the general
> public at no charge under subsection 6d.

This too, though I'm not sure what actual networks fit here.

Take care,