gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Successful build of gcl269pre-ANSI on WinXP(32) -- how I was

From: Donald Winiecki
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Successful build of gcl269pre-ANSI on WinXP(32) -- how I was ultimately successful, BUT problems with *info* files in REPL
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 11:42:59 -0600

Hi all!

Over the past several weeks I have been working to create a native
WinXP (32 bit) build of the current gcl268pre.  Up until last night I
had been unsuccessful on four separate machines running WinXP either
natively or under emulation (through Sun's/Oracle's VirtualBox).
Building the CLtL1 variant had never been a problem.

I was finally successful after installing the build tools following my
directions for preparing to build GCL on WinVista.  I have tried and
had success on three of the four machines that previously failed a
gcl268pre-ANSI build (I haven't yet tried on the fourth machine).

Paranoid as I am, I normally keep all Windows operating systems up to
date with patches from Microsoft and right now I'm guessing (and it's
just that, a guess) that some recent patches from Microsoft for WinXP
have put code or operating characteristics from WinVista into WinXP.
This may (hypothetically) account for my inability to build
gcl268pre-ANSI natively on an up-to-date installation of WinXP.

But even with this, I and one other user have experienced trouble
getting the current *info* file package to operate inside the GCL
REPL.  It would always complain about broken access to the info
file(s).  At the very bottom of this message is the result of
attempting to invoke (help 'cons) from the REPL.

HOWEVER, I was successful in getting the info files to operate inside
the REPL by copying info files from a several-month-old installation
of GCL on another machine, into the proper directory structure and
replacing the info files currently posted on the GCL project's
website.

The info files currently posted on the GCL project's website do not
extract properly.  When extracting the files, I receive an error
"There are data after the end of archive" (I'm using the open source
version of 7-zip to extract them on my WinXP machine). Perhaps others
could confirm this for me in their installations of GCL and if we get
reliable failures, we can replace the currently posted info files with
my archived copy.

Best,

-- documentary trace of failure of (help 'cons) --

>(help 'cons)

CONS                                                               [Function]
(not found "dir")
Error in IF [or a callee]: Cannot open the file NIL.

Fast links are on: do (use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Broken at SYSTEM::PRINT-DOC.  Type :H for Help.
 1 (Continue) Retry opening file #p"NIL".
 2 (Abort) Return to top level.
dbl:>>

-- end --

_don

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don Winiecki, Ed.D., Ph.D.
Professor
Boise State University, College of Engineering
Department of Instructional & Performance Technology
1910 University Drive, Boise, Idaho 83725-2070 USA
E-mail: address@hidden
WWW: http://ipt.boisestate.edu
Telephone: (+01) 208 426 1899
Fax: (+01) 208 426 1970