gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] (no subject)

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] (no subject)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 13:34:11 -0400

From: Camm Maguire <address@hidden>
To: Matt Kaufmann <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: #@ and #! readers
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 13:34:11 -0400

Greetings!  Both of these appear to be unused, and set to the default
dispatch macro which triggers an error.  I think they are leftovers from
earlier attempts to read the .data file (appended to each compiled .o to
initialize lisp data) using the lisp reader.  (see fasd.lisp, currently
unused).  These are safe to reset AFAICT.

On a separate note, regarding fixnum arithmetic and the 'immediate
fixnums' supported in cvs head, I've been looking into this on my new
64bit laptop.  This platform can easily support a ~ 500000000 fixnum
table below the .text start *without any conversions* back and forth
between machine representations.  In contrast, by default, an
astronomically large table is set to the upper region of the 64bit
address space which require shifts.  Do you have any sense on what a
good fast fixnum table subset size might be in real word use?

Take care,