gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.9

From: Raymond Toy
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.9
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 22:24:57 -0700

    Gabriel> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM, Raymond Toy <address@hidden>
wrote:
    >> I do have a couple of items on my wishlist: an implementation of
    >> ensure-directories-exist

I tried sometime ago to use gcl's ffi to implement
ensure-directories-exist by calling mkdir.  I completely failed
because I couldn't get the ffi to work.

    Gabriel> +10

    Gabriel> I wouldn't mind conditions either :-)

Don't conditions already work?

And since we're wishing about things, there are some more things that
would be nice to, based on my experience with maxima.

*load-pathname* (Currently in the SYS package, and not exported, I
think.)

REAL class. It seems gcl only has FLOAT and INTEGER, but not REAL.

More specific arithmetic error conditions.

Pathname directories that actually start with :ABSOLUTE or :RELATIVE.

There are probably others, but I can't think of them right now.

    >> and a better directory function (that
    >> doesn't just call ls).

    Gabriel> well, more specifically, what behavior do you want?
    Gabriel> SBCL's? or Clozure CL's?

I would prefer cmucl, but it doesn't much matter which.  I think the
problem I had was that DIRECTORY didn't distinguish between files and
directories which made it really hard to use DIRECTORY for anything
other than a simple list of stuff.  It would also be nice if DIRECTORY
could handle pathname wildcards, but that can probably be worked
around if DIRECTORY returned lists of files and directories.

I suppose there would need to be some options to specify whether
truenames are returned or if symlinks are followed.  But that's
probably not needed if other functions are provided to get the
truename or identify symlinks and follow symlinks.

Ray