gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Git

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Git
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 09:20:50 -0400

Hi Matt!  Have not forgotten about this.  I think odds are good that my
last 2.6.9 commit was made yesterday.  Things are a little ambiguous
because Debian just made a release, and the autobuilders are building in
a somewhat unstable environment, so my usual testing of the
maxima/axiom/acl2/hol88 builds across all those architectures show some
failures which might or might not be GCL's fault, and need chasing
down.  If interested, you can see the progress at

https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=gcl&suite=sid
https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=maxima&suite=sid
https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=acl2&suite=sid
https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=hol88&suite=sid
https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=axiom&suite=sid

Once there are no gcl related failures, I will

1) tag Version_2_6_8 and Version_2_6_9 in cvs and git
2) push gcl_2.6.8.tar.gz and gcl_2.6.9.tar.gz to the download area at
gnu.org
3) update the website with this announcement
4) proceed henceforward with the master and experimental branches in
git, as this appears to be what the users want.

To fetch anything from git, do

git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/gcl.git
cd gcl
git checkout Version_2_6_9pre (or experimental, or Version_2_6_8pre ....)
./configure && make

As for the mac, I have one build environment available, that generously
provided by Robert Krug.  Both Version_2_6_8pre and Version_2_6_9pre
work on his machine with ./configure && make (with or without the
--enable-ansi flag to configure).

There has been a report on a more recent mac version to which I have no
access.  There appears to be a minor configure issue where the test for
the profil() function fails incorrectly.  I believe, though have been
unable to test, that

./configure
echo "#undef NO_PROFILE" >h/config.h
make

will work around this.  I've pointed out the gcc failure responsible to
the reporting user in case a cleaner solution can be implemented, but so
far no word back.  I would prefer not to hold up the release on this
issue.

Take care,