gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL 2.6.8 and 2.6.9 are released

From: Raymond Toy
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL 2.6.8 and 2.6.9 are released
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 12:35:50 -0700

    Henry> UTF8 isn't 'critical', but not having it means that
    Henry> interfacing with file systems & documents that utilize UTF8
    Henry> is quite difficult.

I think it would be nice too if gcl supported some unicode.  I think
all that is really needed would be to increase the size of a base-char
from 8 bits to 16 (or more)[1].  Then a combination of cl-unicode[2] and
babel[3] will give all of the necessary features.  Don't know if gcl
can compile those libraries or not, though.

A utf-8 encoder/decoder is pretty simple so you don't even need
cl-unicode or babel to get what most people want: a way to read and
write utf-8 strings.

Footnotes:
[1]  It seems most free lisps have base-strings (8 bits) and strings
     (32 bits).  Many commercial lisps use just 16 bits, I think;
     cmucl uses 16 bits.  16 bits isn't enough to hold all unicode
     characters, but all of the important languages fit in 16 bits.

[2]  http://weitz.de/cl-unicode/

[3]  http://common-lisp.net/project/babel/