gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Remote access to a Win7 VM

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Remote access to a Win7 VM
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 00:47:46 -0400

Greetings!  OK, I've got it -- thanks!  A precise fix is still a little
uncertain.

Mike Thomas hardcoded the start address for the VirtualAlloc heap
initialization in the emulation of sbrk (unexnt.c).   The magic start
address was

0x10100000

and this sufficed for about 65k pages.  This is still in in 2.6.8.

I moved the address down to 0x01100000 to get more room in 2.6.9, as
this worked in wine.  It fails on win7 as VIrtualAlloc returns 0.  Must
be some other memory in use at this address.

I tried supplying 0 and letting the routine default to an address, but
this was only moderately stable, with some jobs just aborting.  My guess
is that the routine is overlapping the heap with some other critical
address range by default, and this led Mike Thomas to hard code it out
of the way.  Furthermore, 0 fails in wine.

The 2.6.8 address seems to work everywhere, but I cannot get more than
65kpages on wine.  I can at least double this on your box.  gcl has
always hardcoded the size too on windows, but it is more in keeping with
the dynamic maxpage of 2.6.9 to grab as much as possible.  65k is way
too small for acl2, for example.

Where can I place the largest heap possible on all Windows variants?

Take care,