gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] help fixing edit_double, failure to print 1d-6 for gcl-2

From: David Billinghurst
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] help fixing edit_double, failure to print 1d-6 for gcl-2.6.8
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 20:50:34 +1100

On 10/10/2013 12:47 PM, Camm Maguire wrote:
David Billinghurst <address@hidden> writes:

That works.  Thanks.

Happy to try and answer any mingw questions, but I am not an expert.
In fact, I have been spectacularly unsuccessful in hacking gcl on
windows -
all I have managed to do is keep gcl-2.6.8pre - and now 2.6.8 -
running with gcc-3.3.1 on Windows XP.

Greetings!  I'm certainly no expert, but from my experience with mingw
on a real windows machine, there definitely appears to be instabilities
in the toolchain.  Utilities fail with 'permission denied', mysterious
segfaults building gmp are not reproducible, etc.  It almost appears as
if the entire mingw toolchain suffered from what gcl did until we moved
all its memory up above a certain address range.

First, I'd like to know if binaries built under some lowest common
denominator windows will run on all others.  Windows people don't appear
to build software frequently, as just one of these issues would grind
Linux development to a complete halt.  Is it then fruitful to forget
about chasing down the buildtime idiosyncrasies in all windows versions
and focus for now on one build platform which will run on all others?

Take care,
I build the maxima windows installer using gcl. This binary appears to run on all Windows versions since WinXP - well over 5000 downloads per version and no real complaints. This is built using the Mike Thomas recipe, with c1993-4 software. The current release is build with 2.6.8pre 2013-01-01. gcl-2.6.8 with floating point printing patch appears to work works, although I haven't made a release using it. I haven't tried 2.6.10pre recently.

I get close on XP using recent mingw/msys and gcc-4.[678] - some mixes work and some don't. I haven't tried systematically, kept good records or reported my failures. It would be good to get this working reliably.

I can't even run configure under Windows 7. The failures appear mingw/msys related. This may be a problem with the build machine, but I haven't tried to separate either of my kids from their laptops to try another machine.

Let me try some systematic tests over the next few days.