gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] subprojects

From: Bruce-Robert Fenn Pocock
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] subprojects
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 14:49:08 -0500

On Nov 14, 2013 12:24 PM, "Raymond Toy" <address@hidden> wrote:

>     Camm> Greetings!  We provide a convenience copy of gmp in our sources in all
>     Camm> versions, and one of binutils in master.  I'm asking here for advice on
>     Camm> how to manage these using git.  Ideally we'd just eliminate them, but I
>
> If gmp and binutils are using git, you can use git submodules, I
> think. This may also work even if gmp and binutils are not using git.
> But I personally have never set up a git repo with submodules.  I do
> use one at work though, but that's basically managed by someone else.

I've some experience with submodules, if you'd like to run that route, I may be able to iron out any bumps; the biggest "gotcha" is generally to commit (and push) any changes in the submodule first, then push the containing project, so it's updated with the newly committed ID. If you're merely tracking upstream, that's less likely to be an issue.