gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Couldn't protect

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Couldn't protect
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 11:49:16 -0400

Hi Tim!  Any way to provide ssh access to this machine?  Also, I think I
need to know what you use for $AXIOM, as apparently this changes the
code in play.  I always use $(pwd)/mnt/linux, and $(pwd)/mnt/ubuntu on
your boxes.  (It seems to me that you should be able to consolidate this
to two, linux and MACOSX, at present, though mingw or cygwin might be
another.  Eventually, having a configure script determine all this would
be even better.)

I am trying your git source on a Debian 686 porterbox just to check, but
I'm pretty sure I won't see this failure.  I can add a few more
diagnostics to the output, as this seems to come up with some frequency
for you.  Or you can run the offending command under 'strace -f' and
post the voluminous output somewhere.  In a nutshell, the mprotect
syscall is failing, and there are only four possibilities, the most
likely being:

       EACCES The  memory  cannot be given the specified access.  This can
happen, for example, if you mmap(2) a file to which you have read-only
              access, then ask mprotect() to mark it PROT_WRITE.

GCL must be able to execute in .data expanded by brk, and some system
security settings disallow this, under the assumption that all code
belongs in .text.  dlopen has to get around this somehow, and that could
be useful for use to understand someday to mitigate this issue.

Take care,