gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.11

From: Will Newton
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.11
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 20:32:50 +0100

On 12 August 2014 20:28, Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> Will Newton <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On 11 August 2014 20:25, Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Greetings!  I'm planning a 2.6.11 release in about a week, so if anyone
>>> has any comments, now is the time :-).  Specifically, I'd like to know
>>> if anyone wants/uses a windows installer, or simply builds from source.
>>> Skipping this step simplifies things a lot.
>>
>> If possible it would be nice to get the AArch64 enablement in 2.6.11.
>> Is there anything outstanding that needs to be fixed with those
>> changes?
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> I think we are waiting here for reloc support for the custreloc linking
> option, no?  Right now, we are in the very favorable position of having
> all supported targets use custreloc.  dlopen requires complex additional
> support for applications outside of gcl, and is to be regarded as an
> emergency or trial build option at the present time.  I'd really hate to
> spoil this uniformity and complicate the support of 2.6.11 going
> forward, especially since I'm adding support for R_ARM_THM_JUMP24 at the
> moment, so this stuff is relatively fresh in my mind.

custreloc is working, but lacks trampolines. The branch distance is
+/-128MB which seems sufficient on the cygwin branch but not master
where the heap seems to grow much more quickly.

> I can walk you through the steps to get this working via email if you'd
> like, but it would be a lot faster if there was ssh access to a
> development box.  I'll ask on debian-arm, but please see if you can dig
> around and arrange this, just temporarily.

I think debian-arm is a good place to ask, there should be some ARM
and Linaro people on that list who may be able to arrange access to
hardware.

--
Will Newton
Toolchain Working Group, Linaro