gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Can't compile latest GCL on Ubuntu 14.04

From: Faré
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Can't compile latest GCL on Ubuntu 14.04
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 16:35:57 -0400

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 11:30 AM, Faré <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Greetings, and thanks for your patience!  I have not forgotten about
>> you!
>>

> I had defpackage woes before on GCL, and that looks like a regression,
> although I haven't recorded which combination of GCL and ASDF worked
> before — or whether indeed it was plainly loading asdf.o.

It looks like the issue has to do with the compilation settings.

When I compile ASDF with the default compilation settings, the
define-package setup fails. But somehow, when the test suite compiles
it, it works (!), yet when I modify the install-asdf.lisp script to do
what looks like the same thing that script-support.lisp does, it still
doesn't work(!). I'm somewhat baffled, and will have to try again when
I have more time.

Also, one of my attempts ended up with an assertion failure on
gcl/o/unixfsys.c line 360 in truename, even before I hit the package
bug.

PS: I see that you implemented chdir. Thanks! The assertion failure
may or may not be related, though I don't use chdir myself by the time
the chdir assertion fails in unixfsys.c.

The party of the first part shall be known in this contract
as the party of the first part.
        — Groucho Marx