gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Support for little-endian ppc64

From: Jerry James
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Support for little-endian ppc64
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:41:57 -0600

Greetings,

There is a Fedora team working on putting together a distribution for
the little-endian variant of ppc64, variously called ppc64le and
ppc64el.  They are building Fedora packages to find what works and
what doesn't.  The gcl package build failed at this point:

End of Pass 1.
End of Pass 2.
OPTIMIZE levels: Safety=1 (No runtime error checking), Space=0, Speed=3
Finished compiling /builddir/build/BUILD/gcl/unixport/../pcl/gcl_pcl_pkg.o.
Error: The assertion tp&~tp on line 185 of sfaslelf.c in function relocate
failed
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Error signalled by OR.
Broken at OR.  Type :H for Help.

The failure is due to a reloc of type R_PPC64_REL32, which isn't
currently handled.  But I wonder if this is going to work, even if
that reloc type is handled.  Should we pursue fixing the gcl build on
ppc64le, or is that a foolish thing to attempt at this stage?

Thanks,
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/