gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] [Maxima-discuss] Maxima 5.34.1 with GCL 2.6.12 debian si

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] [Maxima-discuss] Maxima 5.34.1 with GCL 2.6.12 debian sid
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2014 09:05:39 -0400

Greetings, and thanks so much for trying out the (soon to be released)
2.6.12pre currently in Debian sid.

Debian policy specifies default gcc compiler flags to offer some degree
of security protection in shipped binaries.  These include the stack
protector flags, which are only supported in more recent versions of gcc
(e.g. the one in the Debian sid distribution), and which attempt to
detect and prevent certain stack overflow attacks.  (It was actually
tricky to get GCL, prelink, unexec, and these flags to play well
together :-)).

So in sum, I don't have much choice regarding the gcl shipped in Debian,
but of course users building from source can use whatever gcc and flags
they desire.  These extra protections do not noticeably impact
performance.  There should, BTW, be a slight performance gain in
2.6.12pre over 2.6.11  on the maxima testsuite.

Take care,