gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] gcl win64

From: Sören Jonsson
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] gcl win64
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 18:10:07 +0100

Hello Camm,

I have an old program I have written in Visual Studio, that extract information about the CPU. (Vendor, number of cores and logical CPU:s, and hyper-treading support.) I include the source for this program in my mail.

It will not give you all information about a computer that you need, but I think that it's a start. I can probably expand the program to provide more of the information you need it.

When it comes to information about the operating system version, you can use the command systeminfo. It provides a lot of valuable information, but it is slow. (1-3 minutes on my machine). It will provide info about the processor as part of it's output as well. (It says: "AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~3100 Mhz" about my CPU) It provedes info about the operating system name and  exact version as well.

I hope this will provide you with the information you need.

Send me a mail if you need more info, I have a strong background in both Windows and Unix/LInux and should be able to provide answers in a lot of cases.

Best regards,

Sören Jonsson
SWEDEN

Greetings, and thank you both for your helpful replies!

I have remote rdp access to a win7 box with msys, cygwin, and mingw32
installed for gcl development purposes.  Frankly, the less I have to
learn about windows internals, the better, but I am the original author
of the file that needs modification.

I tried installing msys2, but on attempting a run of the downloaded
executable, windows tells me that it is incompatible.  I noticed also in
Soren's posted instructions that mingw64 or parts thereof are only
supported on a 64 bit host.  I don't even know how to determine the
running cpu or os in windows to chase this down.

The existing mingw installation manager does not offer 64bit package
options.

If no obvious solution comes to mind, I'll write to the admin of the
box.

Take care,