gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Package ansification in upcoming GCL 2.6.13

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Package ansification in upcoming GCL 2.6.13
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 11:44:29 -0400

Greetings!  It is my intention to have the next GCL release, hopefully
in about a month, have a fully compliant :cl package, e.g. with only the
standard symbols exported.  There will be a :cltl1-compat package with
the older CLtL1 symbols which may be used.  I am also thinking it wise
to export some useful symbols from :cl-user, like si::bye, si::quit,
si::clines, si::defentry, and si::system.  It is not clear whether this
will reduce the compatibility changes requried in maxima, as I don't
think these functions are called in an environment using :cl-user.

Ideally, I'd like 2.6.12 and 2.6.13 both to compile two subsequent
versions of maxima.

Here is the string necessary to feed into gcl 2.6.13pre prior to
building existing maxima:

        echo '(progn (dolist (l (quote si::(clines defentry system object bye
quit get-setf-method))) (import l :cl)(export l :cl))(export (quote
*load-pathname*) :si)(setf (symbol-function (quote si::get-setf-method))
(symbol-function (quote get-setf-expansion)))(si::save-system "gcl"))' |
GCL_ANSI=t gcl

This restores the portion of the legacy broken symbol package layout
used by current maxima sources.

Post transition, I think a lot of #+gcl #-gcl can be removed.

Comments most welcome.

Take care,