gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] The perils of gcc 5.x

From: Jerry James
Subject: [Gcl-devel] The perils of gcc 5.x
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 22:08:41 -0600

Greetings,

Fedora is now building packages with gcc 5.x.  The gcl package build
for Fedora Rawhide (the upcoming Fedora 23 release) is failing with
gcc 5.1.1.  Part of the reason is that gcc now defaults to the C11
standard when building C code.  This breaks the gcl build, because the
"inline" keyword now defaults to meaning "static inline", where it
used to default to meaning "extern inline".  This leads to lots of
duplicate symbols AND lots of missing symbols at link time.

I added -std=gnu89 to CFLAGS to fix that problem, but the build is
still failing, like so:

make[1]: Entering directory '/builddir/build/BUILD/gcl/lsp'
../unixport/saved_pre_gcl ../unixport -system-p -c-file -data-file
-h-file -compile gcl_sharp

Compiling gcl_sharp.lsp.
Finished loading ./gcl_cmpinit.lsp
End of Pass 1.
End of Pass 2.
In file included from gcl_sharp.c:2:0:
/builddir/build/BUILD/gcl/unixport/../h/cmpinclude.h:32:6: error: "<"
is not a valid filename
 # 34 <stdin> 3 4
      ^

So somewhere the preprocessor is getting invoked and needs the -P flag
to suppress those line numbers, I guess.  I'm not sure where to look.

Regards,
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/