gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] [Maxima-discuss] unable to set up the help system

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] [Maxima-discuss] unable to set up the help system
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 09:28:39 -0400

Greetings!

Robert Dodier <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2015-10-12, Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> please forward them to me.  Again, I take from the above you are
>> referring to the 2.6.13pre source packaged in debian sid as 2.6.12-21.
>> 2.6.12 (packaged in debian stable as 2.6.12-1) should compile fine with
>> old gcc, and not with gcc-5.
>
> A version which is actually 2.6.13pre advertises itself as 2.6.12 (as
> shown by the original message in this thread) and is packaged as 2.6.12.
> This seems needlessly confusing -- one would hope to use version numbers
> to determine whether different instances of the program are the same
> thing.

So true.  I was hoping that debian unstable was an unused 'sandbox' for
such things.  Be that as it may, debian package numbers must monotonically
increase lexicographically, and its not immediately clear what policy
would be superior if we want 2.6.13-1 to be the official release.  I
could adjust the minor version number in the image, but there is
really no space here for 'prereleases' with customary historical usage.
I've found that testing builds on the debian autobuilder network is
nonetheless crucial in getting a solid release finalized.  Suggestions
most welcome.

Take care,