gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] File load algorithm

From: Raymond Toy
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] File load algorithm
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 10:05:51 -0800

    Camm> Here is a somewhat crazy idea which is nonetheless related to the
    Camm> pathname work I'm doing now.  What about supporting version :newest,
    Camm> with non-wildcard pathnames containing this referring to the pathname,
    Camm> and #p"/foo/bar/*.{o,lsp,lisp}" (with version set to :newest)
referring
    Camm> to the intended target?

Dealing with pathnames in multiple implementations is already hard.
Don't make it even harder!

FWIW, cmucl uses *load-source-types* to specify a list of extensions
for source files that is searched in that order for source files, if a
fasl can't be found and the pathname doesn't specify one.  I think
this is pretty easy to understand.

I think this is really only meant as a convenience at the repl where
typing less is convenient.  I expect programs to be much more explicit
by either using a defsystem or explicit extensions.

--
Ray