gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] GCL memory allocation/gc environment variables (was Re: [Max

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] GCL memory allocation/gc environment variables (was Re: [Maxima-discuss] Maxima testsuite with GCL)
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2017 16:08:18 -0400

Greetings!

Variable            Type   Default  Description

GCL_MEM_MULTIPLE    float  1.0      fraction of runtime ram to consider
GCL_GC_PAGE_THRESH  float  0.5      only GC past this heapsize fraction of
working mem
GCL_GC_ALLOC_MIN    float  0.05     minimum alloc fraction between GCs
GCL_GC_PAGE_MAX     float  0.75     GC at minimum alloc past this heapsize

GCL_MULTIPROCESS_MEMORY_POOL
                    bool   false    aggregate allocation across multiple
processes

Just set GCL_MEM_MULTIPLE to 0.5 to run in 50% of physical RAM, etc.

The next three variables regulate GC.  The basic idea is to trigger GC
based on the recent allocation, with no GC up to a heapsize of
PAGE_THRESH, then lowering the allocation hurdle linearly to ALLOC_MIN
at a heapsize of PAGE_MAX and larger.

GCL_MULTIPROCESS_MEMORY_POOL will likely default to true at release.
This is being tested now.

Take care,