gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Failed building gcl-2.6.9 on NIX using gcc 6.3.0 on x86-

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Failed building gcl-2.6.9 on NIX using gcc 6.3.0 on x86-64
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 13:33:44 -0500

Greetings, and thanks for your report!

2.6.9 is way out of date.  2.6.12 is the last official release, and
2.6.13pre/list_order in git is the current release candidate.  These
sources are also in the latest Debian package.

I would strongly encourage not attempting to go back to the old inline
semantics, as support for the newer version has been live in gcl for a
long time now.  I am also unaware of any breakage of
-fomit-frame-pointer and SGC.

By way of commentary, SGC, while still supported, does not seem to yield
any benefit on modern hardware, and does incur a small cost.  This is
basically due to the fact that if you touch swap at all, its 'game over'
performance wise.

Parallelism in the build would be possible in the lsp, cmpnew, and clcs
subdirs only, to my understanding.  The logic of the build is highly
serialized at the moment.

Take care,