gcl-devel

Re: display bug, was: Maxima rtestint failures with GCL 2.6.14

From: Raymond Toy
Subject: Re: display bug, was: Maxima rtestint failures with GCL 2.6.14
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 12:56:34 -0700

On 4/9/24 10:40, Robert Dodier wrote:

On Mon, Apr 8, 2024 at 8:36 AM Robert Dodier <robert.dodier@gmail.com> wrote:

Running tests in rtestint:
********************** Problem 56 ***************
Input:
cos(x)
integrate(------, x, minf, inf)
2
x  + 1

Result:
- 1    2
%e    (%e  + 1) %pi
-------------------
2

This differed from the expected result:
- 1
%e    %pi
Incidentally that looks like a display bug, which is shown by all
Lisps; should be displayed as a ratio %pi/%e. Guessing that flags in
the car of %e^-1 are interfering with NFORMAT or DISPLA itself.

Oh. This appears to be intentional. See the %edisplflag. (I found this by grepping nforma.lisp for %e.)

I think I like %e^-1 better than 1/%e. I think this matches what most people would write in texts.

Robert