gcmd-users

Re: [gcmd-usr] Gcmd 0.9.8 rpm and Suse 8.0

From: Marcus Bjurman
Subject: Re: [gcmd-usr] Gcmd 0.9.8 rpm and Suse 8.0
Date: 05 Sep 2002 22:52:55 +0200

On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 22:17, Thorsten Grothe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded the rpm for gnome-commander 0.9.8 and tried to
> install it on my Suse 8.0 System. I got error messages on failed
> dependencies of
>
> libcryto.so.2 and libssl.so.2
>
> openssl-0.9.6c-29 is installed. So I just ignored it and installed it
> wiht rpm --nodeps ....and that works.
>
> I played a little bit with the programm and it's really great. So I
> decided to use it with icewm. I have only a few questions:
>
> I went in a directory with many files (about 100 in .xpm format) and
> renamed some of them. It took a long time and several refreshes of the
> view (Ctl+R) before gcmd shows them in the right manner with the new
> name.
>
> I had the same problem when I moved a file with F6 to another directory.
> I hit Ctl+R several times but gmcd even shows the file in the
> directory. I checked it with another filemanager and the directory was
> empty. After restarting gmcd it was ok.
Hi Thorsten,

It sounds like the program has found FAM on your computer and is using
that to detect file-changes. FAM is only good if you have the imon-patch
applied to the kernel, otherwise FAM uses polling to detect file-changes
which is not optimal...

So you're left with 3 options to solve this problem at the moment.

1) add the imon-patch to your kernel (check the README for more info and
links about this)

2) Stop FAM on your machine so the program wont use it.

3) Download the source and compile it without FAM support.
   ./configure --with-fam=no

I might add an option to overide FAM in the options-dialog in the
future.

/Marcus