gcmd-users

[gcmd-usr] help with permissions

From: Michael B
Subject: [gcmd-usr] help with permissions
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:28:43 +0000 (GMT)

i am a new user to linux (mandrakelinux 10.1) and i'm having problems with permissions

i have created a file in var/www/html for my webpages and the permissions are set rwxr-xr-x so only the root user can write to the file

however when i try to execute gnome-commander from the root in the command line i get -

could not set mode 0700 on private per-user gnome configuration directory '/root/.gnome2_private/' : read only file

gnome-commander executes from the command line when i'm not root user but then it is no good to me as i dont have the permissions i need to write to my file

i have tried chmod 777 filename but i get back chmod: changing permissions of 'filename' : read only file system and nothing changes

it is driving me mad and i just want to be able to update my webpages, can anyone help.

mike