gcmd-users

Re: [gcmd-usr] Feature Request - Bookmarks and CTRL button

From: Micha
Subject: Re: [gcmd-usr] Feature Request - Bookmarks and CTRL button
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 10:20:29 +0100

I'm sorry but i can't be happy with this decision.
The reason is, ctrl+left/right is doable with one hand, and thus
some windowmanagers apply it for one really frequent action:
Switching between workspaces.
I think working with workspaces is one big advantage that
Linux still has over Windows, (athough graphic chip software
starts to fix that nowadays) so only Linux real-users can understand
this point. It's absolutely effective, and people doing desktop work,
internet, office, and multimedia, tend to do many things in parallel,
and use to switch between thematic workspaces several times per
minute. If that's doable with one hand you can work with mouse in
paralell, and get VERY fast.
Ctrl+arrows is used in wmaker and i saw it in enlighenment some
year before. Gnome-session sets up very few desktop shortcuts at
all, the standard windowmanager (sawfish) uses Alt+left/right to
cycle through workspaces. I agree that's in line with terminal
behavior, but there's only one Alt key on the left side, on most
(if not all)  non-US keyboards, so you can't do it one-hand.
And we have to remember that gnome was going the way to simple
usage for newbies, not for professionals. They refuse to implement
many professional features nowadays. (Even Linus barfed about that ;)

I also use to assign ctrl+up/down to minimize/maximize window,
so i can do the full navigation through all windows with one hand.

Ctrl+arrows is just too handy to waste it with a *comparable*
unimportant action like copying the pwd in filemanager.
It should be free for a really every-minute action.

Now i understand that you won't change your mind just becuase
of a few freaky users like me. But perhaps you may consider this
a valid proposal, too:

The tab key is well known to switch the pane focus.
AFAICS Shit+Tab or Ctr+Tab aren't used (they do just the
same as Tab alone, on my installs).
Wouldn't it be intuitive to use Ctrl+Tab to assign the active pane
to the other pane (no matter if left or roght) ? It would be enough
to have just that action, IMHO, because it's easy to remember, and you
can do 'Tab' then 'Ctrl+Tab' very fast, to revert the direction (other pane
to active one). Spares you some brain for other things, it's already lots
of shortcuts we have to remember.
What do you think ?

(wow, what a plea!)