gcmd-users

Re: [gcmd-usr] Feature Request - Bookmarks and CTRL button

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-usr] Feature Request - Bookmarks and CTRL button
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 23:57:23 +0100

> I'm sorry but i can't be happy with this decision.
> The reason is, ctrl+left/right is doable with one hand, and thus
> some windowmanagers apply it for one really frequent action:
> Switching between workspaces.

But gcmd can't override window manager shortcuts... CTRL+LEFT/RIGHT will
be accessible to gcmd *ONLY IF* wmaker/enlightenment/... doesn't use it.
I can see no way where new proposed shortcuts will interfere with your
preferred workspace usage ;o)

<...>

> Ctrl+arrows is just too handy to waste it with a *comparable*
> unimportant action like copying the pwd in file manager.
> It should be free for a really every-minute action.

Let's quote TC manual:

        CTRL+LEFT/RIGHT:
                Open directory/archive and display it in the target
                window. If the cursor is not on a directory name, the
                current directory is displayed instead.

This is the feature I use very often when I use TC - setting the
opposite (inactive) pane to cwd.

> Now i understand that you won't change your mind just because
> of a few freaky users like me.

OK, it won't hurt leaving previous key bindings:
        CTRL+. and CTRL+SHIFT+.
This way everybody will be happy now ;o)))

> But perhaps you may consider this
> a valid proposal, too:
>
> The tab key is well known to switch the pane focus.
> AFAICS Shit+Tab or Ctr+Tab aren't used (they do just the
> same as Tab alone, on my installs).
> Wouldn't it be intuitive to use Ctrl+Tab to assign the active pane
> to the other pane (no matter if left or right) ? It would be enough
> to have just that action, IMHO, because it's easy to remember, and you
> can do 'Tab' then 'Ctrl+Tab' very fast, to revert the direction (other pane
> to active one). Spares you some brain for other things, it's already lots
> of shortcuts we have to remember.
> What do you think ?

CTRL+TAB and CTRL+SHIFT+TAB is used for tabs navigation by the other
file managers :o( IMHO we should be compatible here with the rest of the
world...

Piotr