gcmd-users

Re: [gcmd-usr] Feature Request - Bookmarks and CTRL button

From: Micha
Subject: Re: [gcmd-usr] Feature Request - Bookmarks and CTRL button
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 09:16:38 +0100

Piotr Eljasiak <address@hidden>:
>  CTRL+LEFT/RIGHT will be accessible to gcmd *ONLY IF*
> wmaker/enlightenment/ ... doesn't use it.

Yes, and that's the point. The gcmd feature will not be available
for folks like me.

> Let's quote TC manual:
>
>     CTRL+LEFT/RIGHT:
>             Open directory/archive and display it in the target
>             window.

That's weird, 'lynx-like' movements are widely established.
That is, arrows without Ctrl. You got that in mc, in krusader,
konqueror, pinfo, and ... lynx ;) I suppose in just about anything
else, too. Ok, moving into and thorugh archives in the filenamanger,
like any filesystem,  is not yet standard (only mc can do this AFAICS)
but this detail doesn't contribute to the topic.

>              If the cursor is not on a directory name, the
>               current directory is displayed instead.

What does it mean ? Do nothing ?
Come on, why should we consider TC as final reference.
We have the right to introduce something better, maybe we'll
be even famous one day ;) and as soon as we got world domination
the whole discussion will be over anyway.

> This is the feature I use very often when I use TC - setting the
> opposite (inactive) pane to cwd.

Me too. If it would work.

> OK, it won't hurt leaving previous key bindings:
>         CTRL+. and CTRL+SHIFT+.
> This way everybody will be happy now ;o)))

But this is broken on any german USB or serial keyboard
i tried so far. Ctrl+. works on native US keyboard, but Ctrl+Shift+.
is broken too.

> CTRL+TAB and CTRL+SHIFT+TAB is used for tabs navigation

I agree Shift+Tab is used to reverse moving the 'Tab' way. But even
that's not the case in gcmd, here it switches the focus to the opposite
site, in a special way.
I can't remember to have ever used Ctrl+Tab for anything, and
it just is doing the same as Shift+Tab on all my keyboards and
installations, AFAICS. And i doubt anybody ever used it.

> IMHO we should be compatible here with the rest of the world...

Yea...but sometimes somebody has to go and discover where we
would get if somebody would go.

I attach you the respective song from Queen, plus some stuff
from Def Leppart and Guns'n Roses, and Beethoven, and by the
way here's my latest holiday clip.

Oh, well, err... perhaps better not ?

But maybe <http://www.msjohnhurtmuseum.com/mp3.html>