gcmd-users

Re: [gcmd-usr] Feature Request - Bookmarks and CTRL button

From: Micha
Subject: Re: [gcmd-usr] Feature Request - Bookmarks and CTRL button
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 10:26:31 +0100

Piotr Eljasiak <address@hidden>:

>  I'd like to stick to CTRL+LEFT/RIGHT shortcuts :o) For users with
> blocked access to those, we could use CTRL+SHIFT+LEFT/RIGHT too.

ok !

>         1. Gnome HIG
>         2. mc
>         3. TC
>         4. Nautilus

That's ok.
Perhaps set Krusader instead of Nautilus, though, because
there are people switching from KDE, and i don't believe there are
many Nautilus geeks using Nautilus keyboard shortcuts. After all,
Nautilus is clearly mouse orientated.

Krusader, however, is doing some details differently than TC,
and since i use all three (well, i'm rarely in windows though)
i dare to say, better. For example one key (F9) for renaming,
since it's such an important action.

> > > OK, it won't hurt leaving previous key bindings:
> > >         CTRL+. and CTRL+SHIFT+.
> > > This way everybody will be happy now ;o)))
> >
> > But this is broken on any german USB or serial keyboard
> > i tried so far. Ctrl+. works on native US keyboard, but Ctrl+Shift+.
> > is broken too.
>
> Could give some more details on that? I don't have access to any German
> keyboard here...

(What do you need ? )

I got some german USB and some german (old) serial keyboards.
The '.' key has ':' as second assignement, so Ctrl+Shift+. is
(visually) equal to Ctrl+:
I can give you the key-code (just can't remember a tools name)
if needed. On these keyboards, Ctrl+Shift+. is doing nothing at all.
Ctrl+. works.

In my posting i mentioned Ctrl+Shift+. was not working too on a laptop with
native US keyboard Maybe because I didn't update gcmd on this machine
for a while ? With latest SVN, both shortcuts work fine there now.
There, '.' has the second assignment '>'.

All machines run xorg 7.1.0-11.
xorg.conf of the PC:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "USB-Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "de,es,us"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
EndSection