gcmd-users

Re: [gcmd-usr] [gcmd-dev] Problem with the icon set of Gnome Commander (

From: Uwe Scholz
Subject: Re: [gcmd-usr] [gcmd-dev] Problem with the icon set of Gnome Commander (possible bug?)
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 21:42:21 +0200

Hi Nick,

Nick Eolicman <address@hidden> schrieb am [Di, 31.03.2015 16:27]:
> Hi Folks,
> I'm trying to customize an icon them for Gnome Commander, but I'm
> having big problems with two icons: the icon of the delete action in
> the edit main pop up menu and thesend files icon of the toolbar,
> actually it seems impossible to change them!
>  From the source code:
> [gnome-cmd-file-popmenu.cc] static GnomeUIInfo other_uiinfo[] =
>     {
> GNOMEUIINFO_ITEM_NONE (N_("Rename"), NULL, on_rename),
> GNOMEUIINFO_ITEM_STOCK(N_("Send files"), NULL, file_sendto,
> GNOME_STOCK_MAIL_SND),
> GNOMEUIINFO_ITEM_STOCK(N_("_Delete"), NULL, on_delete, GNOME_STOCK_TRASH),

As indicated in the last arguments in the GNOMEUIINFO_ITEM_... calls,
the icons for sending mail and deleting items are Gnome stock icons,
whereas all the other ones are gtk-icons. Don't ask me why, I don't
know. I think it would be a good idea to change this and to use
gtk-icons also for those two actions. I could make this change for one
of the next GCMD releases if nobody is against this.

> it appears these icons should be named:"gnome-stock-trash", (the one
> of the pop up menu); "gnome-stock-mail-snd", (the one of the toolbar);
> infact:
> [gnome-stock-icons.h]
> #define GNOME_STOCK_TRASH "gnome-stock-trash"
> #define GNOME_STOCK_MAIL_SND "gnome-stock-mail-snd"

The #define statements in gnome-stock-icons.h are doing exactly what you
want. By compiling the source code, the preprocessor substitutes
GNOME_STOCK_TRASH with gnome-stock-trash and GNOME_STOCK_MAIL_SND
gnome-stock-mail-snd. So, should be okay, I think.

What you might do is to search for to path of gnome-stock-trash.png and
gnome-stock-mail-snd.png in your system. And than you can change the
icons as you wish.

> Unfortunately I didn't manage in any way to change them regardless the
> names I usedin my theme: is it a bug or I'm missing something?

As stated above, I think the problem is that the two icons in question
aren't gtk-icons and gnome-commander takes them from another path...
Interestingly, I could find them, too, in 10 minutes searching. =)

> More does anyone know where is located the defaul icon set? I've
> searched in thestandard locations, ($HOME/.icons, /usr/share/icons,
> /usr/pixmaps), but also inthis case I had no luck....

The location of the default icon set depends on your desktop settings.
If you, for example, activate the icon set "Adwaita" in Xfce, all the
icons (besides the two discussed above) are taken from
/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/ and its subfolders, IIRC.

> Please send your kind responses to this mail address, since I haven't
> subscribed yet to the mailing list.

Best wishes,
Uwe