gcmd-users

[gcmd-usr] Problems building latest version

From: R. Diez
Subject: [gcmd-usr] Problems building latest version
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 15:24:16 +0100

Hi there:

I am looking for a better file manager, and I tried gnome-commander 1.4.7 that comes with Xubuntu LTS 16.04.1.

I immediately missed the standard Ctrl+L keyboard shortcut in order to paste a directory path to go to. I also noticed that you cannot edit the /home/user path displayed over the file panes.

Before giving up on gnome-commander, I downloaded the latest version 1.6.2 and built it on my PC. I chose a local directory, as I do not want to install it as root and overwrite my system's version.

The README file could mention that, unter Ubuntu/Debian, the following packages are needed: gnome-doc-utils, libgnome2-dev, libgnomeui-dev, libunique-dev. It is not necessary, but it does help, as one tends to forget that you need the -dev versions. The README does mention that you need "gnome >= 2.4.0", but you wouldn't necessary think of packages like gnome-doc-utils or libgnomeui-dev .

Other that those missing packages, the build ran fine. However, when I tried to start it, I got the following error message:

(gnome-commander:31963): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gnome.gnome-commander.preferences.filter' is not installed

A quick Internet search did not yield a straightforward explanation. The README does not mention this kind of issue either. I do not think that new users should be looking for that kind of information either.

Regards,
  rdiez