gcmd-users

Re: [gcmd-usr] [gcmd-dev] Gnome Commander 1.6.2 in the nux-dextop repo

From: Ken Taylor
Subject: Re: [gcmd-usr] [gcmd-dev] Gnome Commander 1.6.2 in the nux-dextop repo
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 19:40:12 -0500

On 02/27/2017 05:16 PM, Uwe Scholz wrote:
Hi Ken,

Am Mon, 27 Feb 2017 13:35:10 -0500 schrieb Ken Taylor:

Please allow me to spread the word...

gnome-commander 1.6.2 is available in the nux-dextop repo.  It
includes the "glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas" at
the tail end of the package which takes care of an issue which I
experienced with an earlier test package.

I have tested the following scenarios using my normal environment -
CentOS 7 + X Windows system + mate-desktop with CentOS Base (priority
1), epel (priority 10) and nux-dextop (priority 20) repos configured.

1 - yum install gnome-commander on a machine which never had
gnome-commander. Works!
2 - yum erase gnome-commander to remove 1.4.4 then yum install
gnome-commander. Works!
3 - yum update on a machine with gnome-commander 1.4.4 installed.
Works!
This is great new! Thanks also to you for the efforts you had, they are
highly appreciated!

Regarding the other mail you sent yesterday concerning the crash after

(gnome-commander:12010): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema
'org.gnome.gnome-commander.preferences.filter' is not installed

This seems to be related also to the missing glib schemas. We had the
discussion some weeks ago where another user tried to install gcmd by
hand into a non-standard path.

I should put some work into this and also update the documentation
about steps a user has to do then.

Nethertheless: Thumbs up that you now have a really fresh
Gnome-Commander running. :)

Best wishes
Uwe

Thank you again Uwe,

At the moment I am trying to finish setting up and configuring my new workstation. I spent two weeks getting the first machine about 95% to my liking when I had a minor hardware issue. BIOS corruption. After 4 hours working with Dell tech support the machine was ruined. It would never power off. I sent it back, got another one and started over. Fortunately I had detailed notes on what I installed step by step. Then I had two brand new Seagate drives fail SMART self-test. Sent them back to the vendor. Turns out Seagate drives apparently show false errors in SMART so the second drive was probably OK. I received a new Western Digital drive today and am moving a bunch of data from my old PC. Bottom line I will be busy with the computer switch for the next couple of days. Then I will get back to trying to build gnome-commander. I have installed it from the nux-dextop repo but I do want to figure out how to compile it myself. I might even see if I can make and RPM.

Regards,

Ken

p.s. I was going to try and install Norton Commander in DOS Box just for old time sake. I thought I had transferred all of my old diskettes to CD and then to DVD and then to my server. But I cannot find Norton Commander in my software archive. I found 3 diskette drives and have one ancient PC with the connection for the drive. Unfortunately it seems I disposed of all of my diskette drive ribbon cables. I have an external diskette drive coming in from ebay. $9 US. When that comes in I will see if the Norton Commander diskette is still readable after 30 years.