gcmd-users

Re: [gcmd-usr] Mounting folders

From: Ken Taylor
Subject: Re: [gcmd-usr] Mounting folders
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 11:13:41 -0400

On 05/18/2017 06:30 AM, Nemanja Milošević wrote:
Hello!

I would firstly like to thank you all for making and maintaining GNOME
commander. It's a joy to use!

I have a small question: I would like to configure a directory (eg
~/Documents) to appear in the Devices ribbon for quick access. Is this
possible? I tried specifying paths etc, but I just get mount failed error.

Thanks!

Hello Nemanja,

It is possible to configure gnome-commander as you describe - almost.  I
have done so. However, I sometimes get the mount failed error. Here is
what I have configured and which is working, at the moment, without errors.

gnome-commander 1.6.2 installed on CentOS 7.3 from the nux-dextop
repository.

I have three directories which I wish to display as "Devices"

/data

/quitelarge

/xtra

I added them in Options; Devices; as follows

Alias: data

Device: "x" (no quotes)

Mount point: /data

no icon selected

[ ] Show only the icons

[X] Skip mounting...

The others are similarly configured.  I have NO IDEA what the Device:
"x" is. I did not type it in. gnome-commander added it at some point.
These "Devices" work.  Here are some further observations from my most
recent testing:

1 - The mount points I have described are all directly mapped to file
systems in /etc/fstab

UUID=9636bded-eff3-44e7-a0ad-90b112ac6fb3 /data ext4
discard,defaults        1 2
UUID=45ddf607-cd93-4120-b710-113777add44a /quitelarge ext4
discard,defaults,nofail        1 2
UUID=0e57e679-c855-4314-82ff-308b556f09f6 /xtra ext4
defaults,nofail          1 2

2 - I attempted to make a device pointing to /home/ken/Documents - it
did not work - mounting error

3 - I made a link from root to my documents and then made a "Device"
pointing to the link  - same problem

lrwxrwxrwx.   1 ken ken    19 May 18 10:43 docs -> /home/ken/Documents

4 - I created a directory /roger and changed ownership to ken (from
root). I created a "Device" pointing to /roger  - same problem.  I then
mounted a file system to /roger (sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /roger) and I can
now access the "Device" roger.

5 - I created a directory /home/ken/rubbish and again mounted a file
system to it (sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /home/ken/rubbish) I created a
"Device" rubbish and it works.

From this I conclude that a "Device" must point to a directory which is
mounted to a file system. This is not exactly what you wish to do but I
think it shows what gnome-commander is currently able to do. Let me play
with it a little more and see if I can come up with a creative workaround.

Ken Taylor

Clayton, NC USA