gcmd-users

Re: [gcmd-usr] Fedora 25: samba not working

From: Thomas Kluth
Subject: Re: [gcmd-usr] Fedora 25: samba not working
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 15:12:19 +0200

Hi Uwe,

> But: I don't have Samba installed locally and I don't have another
> workstation with Samba running. This might be the cause of the error
> message I see. I tried to install Samba with the help given here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Administration_Guide_Draft/Samba
>
> I could manage to see my locally shared directory via
> "smbclient -L 127.0.0.1", but I can neither open it in Gcmd NOR in
> Thunar (under XFCE, typing "smb://localhost" in the address bar).
>
> Thomas, if you could tell me how to setup Samba locally we might find
> out there the problem with Gnome Commander hides.

I (or actually my brother who would like to use Gcmd) only connect(s) to
external samba shares. To debug, I sucessfully enabled a Samba server on
my Fedora 25 PC (runnig GNOME) doing the following:

sudo dnf install samba samba-client
## samba user and password is different frum unix user / password -- set
it explicitly:
sudo smbpasswd -a thomas

# create samba share
cd
mkdir samba-test-share
# let SELinux not deny permissions
chcon -R -t samba_share_t samba-test-share/
# add the following lines to /etc/samba/smb.conf:

[testshare]
        path=/home/thomas/samba-test-share
        guest ok = yes
        read only = no

# restart samba:
sudo systemctl restart smb

After this, I could access (and write to) this testshare using Files aka
nautilus, and also thunar by going to the address
"smb://localhost/testshare". It did not work with Gcmd.
Only typing smb://localhost somehow didn't work that well in neither
file manager.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Thomas